by Shelt Garner
1. Know your arts and crafts.
2. Own a stapler and your own printer.
3. Have something to say.
4. Don’t judge what your motivation is, just have some.
5. Be extremely patient — you will screw up, a lot.
6. Be your own editor.
7. Think about the meta as much as development and writing
8. Don’t get cocky. Stay humble.
9. It’s ok to be paranoid.
10. No one owes you shit.
11. Everyone thinks you suck. The only opinion that matters is yours.
12. Think visually.
13. Stick to your vision.
14. Don’t forget to be paranoid of IP concerns. Creation is hard work. One day that IP might be YOURS.
15. Don’t overthink things. Publish or perish.
16. It’s going to take a lot longer than you think to finish the novel.
17. The sooner you break free of any “rules” you have for yourself, the better.
18. Character and plot are pretty much the same thing.
19. Good luck.